course #834, 6 clock hours
Understanding the Federal and State laws for providing special education programs in our public schools is imperative to ensure the compliant delivery of services to qualified students. This course provides an overview of the rules and regulations required for providing special education services. Based on WAC 392-172A and specific court cases, instruction provides participants with the tools needed to provide compliant services.
- Gain awareness of the definition of Free Appropriate Public Education (FAPE) as it applies to students eligible for special education.
- Walk through the IEP process – from referral through IEP development and implementation.
- Gain awareness of the law as it applies to least restrictive environment (LRE).
- Know the importance of parent and student participation in all program decisions.
- Gain awareness of procedural due process.