The Office of Superintendent of Public Instruction website provides information relative to data reporting for restraint or isolation of students as mandated by Substitute House Bill 1240 (2015).
RCW 28A.600.485 requires any school employee, resource officer, or school security officer who uses restraint or isolation on a student during school-sponsored instruction or activities to inform the building administrator or building administrator’s designee as soon as possible, and within two business days submit a written report of the incident to the district office. The written report must include, at a minimum, the following information:
- The date and time of the incident.
- The name and job title of the individual who administered the restraint and/or isolation.
- A description of the activity that led to the restraint and/or isolation.
- The type of restraint and/or isolation used on the student, including the duration.
- Whether the student or staff was physically injured during the restraint and/or isolation incident and any medical care provided.
- Any recommendations for changing the nature or amount of resources available to the student and staff members in order to avoid similar incidents.
School districts are required to summarize (annually) the written reports of restraint and isolation of any student and submit the summaries to the Office of Superintendent of Public Instruction, due January 1. Reports include:
- Number of individual incidents of restraint and isolation.
- Number of students involved in the incidents.
- Number of injuries to students and staff.
- Types of restraint or isolation used.
Restraint and isolation data are published on the OSPI website on the K–12 Data and Reports page at http://k12.wa.us/DataAdmin/PerformanceIndicators/DataAnalytics.aspx